Invest In Girls?
Invest in Girls (IIG), is a program that will change the way girls think about money as well as careers in finance and economics. The objective of IIG is to support the next generation of financially literate girls and to increase the number of girls interested in careers in finance and financial services. Invest in Girls is a program of the Indiana Council for Economic Education.
- Did you know that a recent report from the Girl Scouts found that only 12% of girls feel confident making personal financial decisions?
- And, another study by Oliver Wyman Consulting Experts found limited female representation on financial services boards (20%) and executive committees (16%).
Watch this video to learn more about the program.
Our goal is to change the way girls relate to money by equipping them with tools that allow them greater access to strong financial futures and rewarding careers. IIG uses a three-tiered model to introduce girls to the language of personal finance and investing and to build the confidence to pursue their dreams. The core program begins with learning modules that provide girls the basics of finance and instill action-oriented goals for them to become the CFO, CEO, or CIO of their lives. These learning experiences are complemented by role model exchanges where girls learn first-hand from volunteers about their roles and other opportunities in the financial services industry. Finally, girls take a closer look at careers with a capstone half-day visit to a firm. The core program can be expanded with deeper career access experiences such as a multi-day job shadow experience or through the development of a mentor/mentee relationship.
The Invest in Girls program is customizable and has been implemented as a school club or a summer institute.
How You Can Help
Invest in Girls is going strong in 7 states and we are looking for partners to help bring it to Indiana in the 2019/20 school year. Specifically, we are looking for help in the following areas:
- Host an industry trip at your company. IIG students visit successful companies to learn about a variety of career paths in finance.
- Volunteer to participate in a Role Model Exchange Day.
- Make a school connection.
- Make a donation to support the Invest in Girls program.
If you would like to join us in bringing Invest in Girls to schools across Indiana, contact Jeff Sanson or JW Fansler and we can begin the process of partnering to invest in future women leaders.
Thank you for your interest!