Many of today's students arrive in class with headphones on, listening to the latest hit song or watching the newest viral video. They often question learning material that they can simply "Google" and struggle with applying textbook concepts to the world around them. Educators are continually struggling to find ways to reach these students by engaging them in the learning process. Rockonomix, a student-produced music video parody project, helps motivate student learning by using popular media to reinforce basic economic principles.
Competition Instructions (Spring 2018)
Rockonomix started as a national video competition for college students based out of the University of West Georgia. Beginning in Spring 2018, the Indiana Council for Economic Education is hosting this competition for high school students in the Hoosier State!
WHAT IS IT?
In teams of no more than 5, students re-write the lyrics to a popular song so that it is about an economic concept or group of concepts. Students then record the song and produce a music video using their new lyrics.
ARE THERE EXAMPLES?
Yes! On the national site, www.rockonomix.com you can see multiple submissions from the previous year's competition.
WHAT ARE THE RULES?
- Must be a student in grades 9 -12.
- Student(s) must have teacher permission to enter and participate.
- Student team size is recommended to be 2-5 students.
- Choose any song, but you MUST get approval from your teacher before beginning and submitting.
- Song lyrics must be substantially rewritten (i.e. your own original work) and the theme of your song must be about economics, which is more than about MONEY. Hint: use terminology or ideas from your textbook, class lectures, and prior knowledge.
- Song lyrics must be a part of the video (subtitled or placed on video).
- Stay classy! No foul or suggestive language will be accepted. Any aspect of economics is acceptable.
- The entry must be submitted by the teacher.
- Completed entries must include:
- location of video (URL if posted on YouTube, VIMEO, Google Doc, or send via e-mail)
- a copy of the words (word document) and
- must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 13, 2018, to be included in the competition.
- Winners announced, Wednesday April 20, 2018.
ARE THERE PRIZES?
Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places.
WHO ARE THE JUDGES?
The videos will be judged by a committee created by ICEE.
WHEN WILL THE WINNER BE ANNOUNCED?
The spring winner will be announced April 20, 2018. The winning entry is eligible to enter the National Rockonomix Contest!
HOW DO I SUBMIT AN ENTRY?
For more information and to submit an entry, email email@example.com
Or contact us, for more information
Indiana Council for Economic Education
Rockonomix was created and is run by the University of Western Georgia Center for Economic Education.